Friday, August 2, 2013

tgif + breast is best



Happy Friday friends 
&
Happy Breastfeeding Week!!!

I had another post planned up, but woke up this morning and found out that its breastfeeding week and I just couldn't pass up an opportunity to spread the love and support for this. 

I am a pro breastfeeding mama. Its actually one of the biggest accomplishments of my life and I am so proud of it! When I was pregnant with Sophia, I had two big fears; first being that I wouldn't be able to give birth naturally (maybe I should just say vaginally) and second that I wouldn't be able to breastfeed successfully. I come from a long line of women in my family that have all had cesarian births and formula babies (including my own mom). It looked like a mountain to accomplish these two, but I wanted it so badly. So, I took pro active measures and hired a doula/lactation consultant to be with me during my birth and first two weeks of breastfeeding. It was one of the best decisions I have ever made regarding breastfeeding. She was there at my bedside as I pulled Sophia out into this world and brought her up for her first latch. From that first latch on, it was love at first sight. 

When I met my doula/lactation consultant for the first time, she was giving an inspiring talk about the beauty and art of womanhood and that breastfeeding completes it. She said something so beautiful about how breastfeeding completes the woman's cycle. From a young woman getting her first menstrual  cycle, to becoming pregnant and ending it all with breastfeeding. I wish I can articulate it just as well as she did, but it all made sense to me. And she was right, when I breastfeed my children I feel that I am completely womanly and that I am giving of myself in the way that my body was made. 

I wont lie, as much as its been wonderful breastfeeding there has been many many hardships with it as well. Breastfeeding my first child was completely bliss from the first latch to the very last, but nursing my second child has been quite a painful one. I made a mistake of not hiring a lactation consultant with me during her birth because I successfully breastfed the first time for 18 months, so I thought I didn't need it. Wrong. Each baby is different. So, I went through a painful first month correcting a shallow latch and we went through our first year of breastfeeding with me getting mastitis four times!! Even through the blood, sweat and tears I persevered through it, thats why I call it an accomplishment because trust me its not always easy.  

Don't let me scare you though, because I am still breastfeeding (Zaylee is almost 16 months now) and I plan to breastfeed all the rest of my children. Here are some of the reasons why I love to breastfeed:

1. Bonding: the bond that comes from breastfeeding is unreal. Try it.

2. Its really really good for the baby. Your breast milk is filled with incredible nutrition and baby formula can't even come close to replicating it. Its the best for babies.

3. You burn 500 extra calories a day! I have been lucky in losing all my baby weight and more with breastfeeding. It also means more eating too! I am always so hungry with breastfeeding, so I indulge in more snacks when I breastfeed. 

4. You lower your chance of breast cancer.

There are a gazillion more, but these are the few that has me believing is breast is best! 

Have a wonderful weekend!


image via  


No comments:

Post a Comment